Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Jewel of Gresham Green - Lawana Blackwell

Finally, the long-awaited Jewel of Gresham Green! I, and many other readers, was painfully reluctant to leave Gresham after the Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark, simply because there were so many stories left to tell. Blackwell has created literary gold in Gresham - it's just such a wonderfully believable place with such fascinating characters, nobody wants to leave!

Picking up over ten years after Dowry left off, this novel begins, as the first one did, in London, with a widow who fears for the future of her children. This time it's Jewel Libby, a factory worker who is frightened of a local thug who shows an inappropriate interest in her young daughter. Kindhearted Noelle Sommerville, now a respectable vicar's wife, sends Jewel and little Becky to Gresham, to be helped by the Phelps family.

Julia Hollis and Andrew Phelps have raised their children. Elizabeth, Laurel and Grace are happily married. Phillip is a prominent London surgeon, but unhappily married to a woman who does not love him, and openly dislikes his family. Independent Aleda has sequestered herself in a cottage in the woods, determined to advance her writing career.

Though she's come for assistance, Jewel turns the tables and ends up assisting others, including the Phelps family and the ailing, grieving Squire Bartley, who has not been the same since the death of his beloved wife. She even attracts the attention of an unlikely suitor.

Gresham, however, is in trouble. The squire's illness puts the whole town in jeopardy. Donald Gibbs, the selfish, cruel nephew who is his sole beneficiary has plans that could leave Gresham in ruins. Andrew's health worsens, and Phillip must come home to help, but that puts even more of a strain on his already-troubled marriage.

In spite of the happy title, The Jewel of Gresham Green is a darker novel than its predecessors. Within the first few pages, a paedophile is introduced. Though adultery is referenced in the other texts, it's dealt with more thoroughly here, as a character tempted by that issue is dealt with in a sympathetic manner. There are also references to something rarely discussed in any Victorian literature I've ever read - homosexuality. It's presented with impressive delicacy - the exploits of Donald Gibbs are never overtly described, and his partner is never referred to by gender, or a specifically masculine or feminine name. Though there appears to have been an incident of homosexual violence, it's also woven subtly through the plot. I doubt some more innocent readers will catch on at all, which was likely Blackwell's intent.

I like the darkness. Gresham is less innocent than it once was, but such is the nature of life, and Blackwell never fails to show the joyous side of things, as well as the not-so-joyous. The part I liked the least about this whole novel was the fact that it's a finale. Though I've read no interviews to the effect, this novel makes it very obvious that this is the last time she'll be taking us back to Gresham. Nonetheless, Gresham is left in a satisfying place. The story is complete.

Highly Recommended.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just left a comment, a long one, and I was booted out to go to wordpress to my blog, http://wordstringer.wordpress.com but what I asked was this: Do you think the Cloud Ten Productions guys, or Christiano group...love their films by the way, even the old ones. I think David AR White is great, but do you think they are real enough. The way the characters, the bad guys especially, aren't real world. I have written a book that has been published, well among several, but this one is the first novel in a series that uses what I call a sneak attack. It is about a very nasty serial killer, and I don't want to say too much, but the cops curse, because I don't know about your town, but in Tampa, the cops have potty mouth, and so do the bad guys, and they do bad things..because that is the world. Now, in my book the detective comes back to her hometown to join the Tampa P.D. after being in the FBI. She is a decorated agent. She lost her faimly to a serial killer some years ago, and she turned her back on God, her faith, and almost left the force. I don't really say to much of this, but it is obvious by her behaivor, drinks too much, callous, etc.
There is a man in this book that I introduce early on, and by far, he is the most lovable character. This book is in the detective genre, or crime genre, if that is how it is categorized. I can't rememeber what exactly it was listed under. Anyway, towards the end, she starts to come back to her senses and be the person she was before the murders, as they are teaming up to hunt down this particular serial. The lovable charachter then gives her a message, which Kirkus Reviews called, "Sermonizing", and made fun of; they must be atheist or something. He only says a few things but what he does say is a powerful message that those who do not follow Christ need desperately to hear. If I had tried to pass this off in the Christian genre, and I don't think I could because it is not full of Christian Ideology, and the plot is not centered on her finding her faith, but if I had, the ones who need that message, that little, mustard seed, pardon me using your name, but that is why I picked you, would have never touched a book labeled as one in the Christian genre.
Once this book that is out now, has been since Oct 08 was going to be a regular cop series, but now, I want it to be a series about my detective finding her way back fully to her faith, and as she is doing that, she realizes over time, with each book a prophecy is filled, and with her mentor, she figures out that she is living in the end times.
Not three books and you are done thing labeled as a christian series, and not the bible twisted into knots based on computer crashes in the year two thousand, but a series, subtle enough to catch the attention of viewers who are not Christians, and give them a message they need.
What, as a Christian, do you think of that? I have intentionally left the name of the book out, for obvious reasons. I am not ashamed of being a Christian, but instead I am just looking for ways to get the word out before I am cut off. It seems these days that many label Christianity as a dirty word. I was saddened to hear that Oprah has started a type of belief that denies Christ. I have only seen a little of that since I have little kids and can't watch the news. I just look at you tube at work and catch up at lunch. I have only started doing that lately.
Please, if you aren't interested, or if I have said something that offends you, I am truly sorry. Something, or rather, someone told me to write this to you. It was your name, mustard seed...that is what pushed me forward to ask another Christian about this. I have contacted the Cloud Ten group about it, since I think they are going about it in the wrong way on film, not all of them, but a lot just center on the end times as the rapture and bam, that is it, tribulation. There is much more to it that comes way before, just as Jesus told his disciples there would be.
Thank you if you read all this. I am a writer and tend to go nuts with a keyboard.
God bless,
Wordstringer

Mustardseed said...

Wordstringer, I've replied as a post on my blog.